[OpenIndiana-discuss] Per packet load balancing in openindiana

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Feb 27 16:16:20 UTC 2012

Hans J Albertsson wrote:
> Is it at all possible to do per packet load balancing in openindiana?
>
> ie can one do
> dladm create-aggr -P <smth> -l igp0 -l igp1 1
> and somehow manage to get (near) 2gb for, say, a zfs send over aggr1?
> Or would one have to write some session-splitting sw to pipe the data thru?

Not without hacking the kernel drivers.  The system quite intentionally
doesn't support such a thing, because it usually results in
substantially degraded performance due to both packet reordering and (on
the receiver's side) interrupt, cache, and lock contention.

I wouldn't be much surprised, with high-speed links, to see the
performance drop to less than what you get by putting all the traffic
over one link.

But if it's worth it to you to try, then by all means, change the driver
and publish the results.  ;-}