[OpenIndiana-discuss] Fun Task - Comparing OI packages vs CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu etc

Bayard G. Bell buffer.g.overflow at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:51:35 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 18:07 +0400, Andrey N. Oktyabrski wrote:
> >> But I can download packages, write it on cd/dvd/flash, go to the
> >> place-without-internet and install there.
> >
> > You can do that with IPS - you just spin up a repo, send your
> > packages to it, shut down the repo, burn it to a CD, then spin it up
> > at the destination and install from it.
> This is little bit tricky... And not always possible.

The alternative is to keep a mirror of the SDLC source archive with you
so that you've always got the components and userland sources together
to carry around.

I've made manual copies of repos to local storage on a dual-boot system
that didn't have support for network drivers until more recently. It's
pretty much always possible and verifiable to take repos if you want the
packaged content rather than the source.

Cheers,
Bayard