[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?

Jan Kesten jan at dafuer.de
Wed Jan 4 11:41:50 UTC 2012

Hi,

> We use DELL, and Sun^H^H^HOracle kit ... I love the Sun kit for it's
> ILOM (able to access the bios remotely, via console and browser) and

indeed the ilom (and all the other (x)lom from sun) are really great and
unique. But for completeness nowadays dell (and others too with
different) offers the (i)DRAC (Dell Remote Access Controller) for out of
band management, and they work like a charm if you got used to them (but
that also counts for the (x)lom) - but you have to order them as
addition to your server, they are not included by default. They also
offer to enter the bios in their console redirection and basic
monitoring (with email alarms).

> If you do go DELL remember to look at the website (if your eyes don't
> hurt) and get a quote, then call them up, they work on commission and
> are aggressive with the prices.

At dell you *must* call for price - ordering without a qoute is waste of
money ;-)

If I have a choice I would go with Sun - but if price matters dell
is/was a good alternative (in fact the first storage server build like
this with solaris was chosen by price, and dell clearly won over all
other "professional" vendors).

Cheers,
Jan