[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?

Chris Ridd chrisridd at mac.com
Thu Jan 5 12:44:40 UTC 2012

On 5 Jan 2012, at 12:28, Johan Guldmyr wrote:

> On 01/05/2012 01:34 PM, openindiana-discuss-request at openindiana.org wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Any HP Servers recommendation for
>>         Openindiana (Capacity Server) ?
>>
>> I find those HP D2600 enclosures quite fascinating.
>>
>> So, I would clearly need a good SAS controller for the host machine.
>>
>> Can anyone point me at some controller that would pair well.
>> Say if I would stack 2x D2600 together ?
>>

>> Thanks allot guys.:)
>>
>> Best regards,
>
> We are probably getting the DL360G7 + P411 with 512MB BBWC + D2600.
>
> I couldn't find any details on the "LSI 9208" card. Typo?

Yes - LSI SAS 9200-8e is probably the one. Basically you want one with a chipset supported by the mpt_sas driver. 'man mpt_sas' says these are the LSI SAS200x/2108 chips.

<http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/LSISAS9200-8e.aspx>

The only thing I'd say about the DL360G7 is that IIRC there are only two PCIe slots so if you want more HBAs, or more NICs (it has 4 on the motherboard - bnx driver), you're a bit constrained.

> Does ZFS still prefer JBOD/direct access to the disks?

Yes.

Chris