[OpenIndiana-discuss] Oracle Solaris on x86 going to be killed?

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:50:33 UTC 2012

On 01/ 7/12 12:22 PM, Gary Driggs wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2012, "Nikola M." wrote:
>
>> It means Oracle not willing to make x86 hardware to run non-Oracle software on it.
> Then why did they send me a Windows driver disc with the X4170 M2 we
> bought last year? Maybe it's explained somewhere in their Windows 2008
> Server install guide for the same system:
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19245-01/821-0484-11/z4000f2e1026370.html
Because they are forced by Microsoft, if they do not want Microsoft to
impose them high prices on their "licenses" and customers would go away.

If they are "not willing" , it does not mean they are not forced to do.
Greed.

There are also too many lousy admins considering MS Windows on servers.
It is also fertile ground for "software licenses" where Oracle plays
quite well for people never heard of Opensource and free software
systems that works better.