[OpenIndiana-discuss] New to the list + SPARC & OpenSolaris

Bryan N Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:03:36 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the list (and to the world of Solaris in general) but have
been following OpenIndiana consistently for the past year.

Now, I have recently acquired a Sun Ultra 5 (with SCSI disks! ;-) ) and
an Enterprise 250, dirt cheap. I have an original box with the Solaris 9
CDs and all the systems work fine.
I use them at home to learn more about this OS and its underpinnings.

Now, how does Oracle's policy on patches and personal use affect me?

Do I need a support contract (can't afford it, probably move to other
*NIX) or can I still use these for personal use?

Should I move to OpenSolaris (can't find the SPARC .iso anywhere!) and
be done with the whole "patch" thing?

Thank you all for your time,

      Bryan