[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtual memory problems

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Wed Jan 11 15:01:26 UTC 2012

Hi,
I'm experiencing strange virtual memory problems on an OI, and I noticed a strange swap space setup
on that machine.
df -h shows this:
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
rpool/ROOT/openindiana
16G   2.5G    12G    18%    /
/devices                 0K     0K     0K     0%    /devices
/dev                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /dev
ctfs                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/contract
proc                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /proc
mnttab                   0K     0K     0K     0%    /etc/mnttab
swap                    63M   368K    63M     1%    /etc/svc/volatile
objfs                    0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/object
sharefs                  0K     0K     0K     0%    /etc/dfs/sharetab
/usr/lib/libc/libc_hwcap1.so.1
14G   2.5G    12G    18%    /lib/libc.so.1
fd                       0K     0K     0K     0%    /dev/fd
swap                    63M   140K    63M     1%    /tmp
swap                    63M    36K    63M     1%    /var/run
...63M of maximum swap?....
swap -l shows this:
swapfile             dev    swaplo   blocks     free
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 179,2         8  1048568   634816
but if I issue zfs list rpool/swap I get:
NAME         USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool/swap   544M  11.9G   346M  -
...confused....what is the real swap space??
I just would like to have swap space to be 2GB at least.
I don't think I tampered the installation, but just got this after the original install on VirtualBox.
Is it