[OpenIndiana-discuss] Greek locale and OI_151a: a workaround

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 16:35:12 UTC 2012

   Hello,

   Today I installed OI_151a on a computer using the default en_US.UTF-8
locale. The OS installed just fine and it works as expected. Then
I installed the files described in

http://asyropoulos.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/disabling-iiimf/

and rebooted the system. To my great surprise the Greek keyboard
was functional! Then I logged out and logged in but this time
I chose the Greek language from the login menu. I had no
problem to proceed and everything worked as expected. Of course
when I opened a terminal and tried to run bootadm it failed, but
this was the only program that failed so far. In addition, I managed
to upgrade from 148 to 151a and then started the system
successfully by making a simple change in file  /etc/default/init.
In particular, I changed the value of LANG to en_US.UTF-8.  This
is a workaround and not solution to the problem mentioned, but
one that makes a system usable.

Regards,

A.S.