[OpenIndiana-discuss] S1200BTL - Can i used Desktop RAM??

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:50:37 UTC 2012

>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Roshan Gowda <roshan.a.gowda at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am planning to buy Intel server board S1200BTL, processor E3-1230. Does
>>> desktop RAM support for this processor and motherboard.

No. I have this board in my OI machine. Check the technical manual:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/s1200bt/G13326-003_S1200BT_TPS_v1_0.pdf

It states:

	"Only ECC memory is supported on this platform."
	"Only Unregistered (Unbuffered) DIMMs (UDIMMs) are supported"

 I took a screenshot of the supported RAM list from Intel's site because it was very difficult to find:

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/matt_connolly/?action=view&current=intels1200btlcompatibleram.png

Best of luck,
Matt.