[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZIL write cache performance

Matt Connolly matt.connolly.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 11:56:46 UTC 2012

Yes, it is as you guess comparing ZIL on the main pool vs ZIL on an SSD. I understand that the ZIL on its own is more of an integrity function rather than a performance boost.

However, I would have expected some performance boost by using an SSD log device since writing to the dedicated log device reduces I/O load on the main pool (or is this wrong?)

Thanks for the heads up about the bug and pending fix.. I'll take a look.

-Matt.

On 13/01/2012, at 9:34 AM, Steve Gonczi <gonczi at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> The ZIL is not a performance enhancer. (This is a common misunderstanding,
> people sometimes view the ZIL as a write cache) .
>
> It is a way to simulate "sync" semantics on files where you really
> need that, instead of the coarser ganularity guarantee that zfs gives
> you without it. (txg level, where the in-progress transaction group may
> roll back if you crash).
>
> If I am reading your post correctly, you are comparing 2 scenarios
>
> 1) Zil is enabled, and goes to the main storage pool
> 2) Zil is enabled but it goes to a dedicated SSD instead.
> Please verify that this is indeed the case.

Yes, this is the case.