[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing OI 151 ssh with OpenSSH 5.9?

Gregory Youngblood gregory at youngblood.me
Tue Jan 17 19:32:12 UTC 2012

On Jan 17, 2012, at 11:06 AM, James Carlson wrote:

> Gregory Youngblood wrote:
>> I was looking into swapping out the ssh that comes with oi151a with openssh 5.9. I already looked in SFE and didn't see openssh, unless I missed it.
>>
>> I pulled the source and it seems to compile OK, though without tcp wrappers, PAM, etc. The first pass was more to see what would happen before spending any real time on it.
>>
>> Before going further, I was wondering if anyone else has done this and whether they have any tips, instructions, or insights.
>
> Why would you want to do that ... ?  It might help in getting useful
> replacing that component.
>
> For what it's worth, the ssh that comes with OpenIndiana is well
> integrated with the existing OS features and performs decently.  You may
> end up replicating the hard work the Sun ssh team did getting it integrated.

I have several reasons. One is a matter of trust: there are more eyes on openssh and I trust it. I'm guessing the ssh in OI is based on openssh. If so, any idea what version?

The other reasons may not be applicable any more after looking through some man pages again. Guess I'll know for sure when I start setting things up.

In the past, a long time ago on Solaris 10, it seemed the Sun ssh lagged behind openssh pretty badly. I had to install openssh to be able to use some of the features that I needed, such as easily relaying connections between servers and some other things I've long since forgotten. I just remember replacing ssh on one of my machines.

As I was looking into this on OI, I saw the Sun SSH 1.5 message and figured it was still lagging pretty far behind. I have some other servers that are as well and they're also outdated. I figured I"d look into upgrading all of them to current openssh, and thus this adventure began. :)

Greg