[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing OI 151 ssh with OpenSSH 5.9?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Wed Jan 18 02:42:52 UTC 2012

And the VPN stuff is a driving force for me.

We had a very similar discussion to this during the August 2011 time
frame.  Similar comments were made, and as I recall, there was a coder
who jumped to a defensive position as the thread wound down.

I know that OI/Sun/Oracle engineers have done a wonderful job of
integrating ssh into the OI/OpenSolaris/Solaris infrastructure.  They
have done a great job and nothing can take that away.

What hasn't come out, or at least I haven't seen it, is why an upgrade
to newer code isn't possible, or why it is so difficult, or what the
"bumps in the road" are.

What ever the outcome, I am not expecting to see upgraded code being
released for ssh/sshd soon.

Personally, i.e. non $WORK systems, I am planning to leave the standard
ssh stuff in place, and compile/deploy the current OpenSSH 5.9, but run
it on a non-standard port.

any comments are appreciated.

Jerry