[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI friendly external drive

Ron Parker rdparker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:51:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Ray Arachelian <ray at arachelian.com> wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 12:25 PM, Ron Parker wrote:
>> I am looking for a USB drive that behaves properly with OpenIndiana.
>> Currently I have a 2TB Seagate GoFlex Desk USB 3.0 drive.
>
> Funny you should ask, I'm seeing the same kinds of behavior after
> upgrading to 151 with an 8 slot USB 3 array.  Are we sure it's the
> hardware and not something in the USB driver?

My host is USB 2 only. So at the very least I don't think its USB-3
driver specific. Also I am seeing the same on Mac OS X Lion which may
be related or not. I do recall Seagate previously having some
suspend-wake-up logic that was peculiar to their Windows driver. On
Linux the work around was to not disable the drive going to sleep
until the "proper" quirks were entered into the Linux driver. In the
LKML world "quirks" is a technical term/term of art.