[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana as a production archive service

Len Zaifman leonardz at sickkids.ca
Thu Jan 19 21:24:32 UTC 2012

We run commercial (solaris) ZFS systems and are happy with them.

We have been aske if we can get a low cost archive service going on:

2 separate hardware platforms, both low cost, and a zero cost OS running ZFS

OpenINdiana looks like a good candidate, but it is still in development. The production release date said soon last September, and I have seen nothing since then on that topic., So a few questions:

1) Is there a likely timeframe for production ready OpenIndiana?

2) Running a file service with ~ 36 disks in three  11 disk (9+2) raidz2 vdevs + hotspares, almost all data will be copied from another fileserver into compressed directories on each of these 2 devices.
 IS OpenINdiana 151a stable enough to do this with potentially .5-1 TB/day being downloaded?

3) Any recommendations (keeping in mind we are going to use gzip compressed file systems) for number/speed of cores and ram???

Thanks
Len Zaifman
Systems Manager, High Performance Systems
The Centre for Computational Biology
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Ave.
Toronto, Ont M5G 1X8

tel: 416-813-5513
email: leonardz at sickkids.ca

This e-mail may contain confidential, personal and/or health information(information which may be subject to legal restrictions on use, retention and/or disclosure) for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or distribution by anyone other than the person for whom it was originally intended is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.