[OpenIndiana-discuss] time-slider will not start due to dbus security policy on oi151a-text

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 23:25:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Thomas <thomas at alternize.com> wrote:
> Jan Owoc <jsowoc <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm having trouble starting time-slider on the text version of oi151a.
>
> i had the same problem yesterday (even asked on this list :-)). i found the
> solution in the meantime while also digging in the dbus config files (which are
> exactly the same as in a gdm-enabled install):
> sudo svcadm restart dbus
> (or alternatively a reboot)

Thank you Thomas. I did see your post, but it didn't have a solution.
So the correct process of installing time-slider on text-based oi is:
# pkg install time-slider
# svcadm restart dbus (or reboot the machine)
# svcadm enable time-slider
# svcadm enable auto-snapshot

I know that .deb supports post-install scripts that, for example,
could restart dbus after a successful install of a package. Is this
something that could (should?) be added to the time-slider IPS
package?

Jan