[OpenIndiana-discuss] Suitable Dev box to replace Ultra 80

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Tue Jan 24 14:13:11 UTC 2012

I would love a sparc port.  Right now I am putting openbsd on my
blade1000 because I hate to see it sit there and collect dust.  I just
wish we had a driver for the xvr-1200 although truthfully vi doesn't
really need much 3d acceleration.

On 01/23/12 08:04 PM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> I've used Sparc since the 90's, in my undergrad university days, I
> used to log in remotely to the University network, using a Sparc
> Classic, I never suffered the consequences of MS Word documents
> becoming corrupted, or the other PC reliability issues and had the
> benefit of additional account privileges (unofficially) like untimed
> internet access, only because the sysadmin used sparc and all the
> important infrastructure at the Uni was sparc or Unix based.
>
> I'm somewhat afraid of using Intel hardware, especially on the
> internet, due to the bios and network hardware security issues that
> OS's can't prevent.
>
> OpenBoot is far more powerful than typical x86 bios.
>
> It would be nice to have a Niagara dev box, for multi threading
> development.
> How portable is Openindiana, from what I can tell it's intel only?
>
> How easy is Openindiana to build, do you think there would be enough
> interest in a sparc port?
>
> Or perhaps an ARM64 port?  Arm seems to have much greater economy of
> scale and could displace x86 the same way x86 displaced the big Unix
> vendors (well actually it was more like top brass knee jerk reactions,
> like Alpha's untimely and premature death).  Unlike Intel, anyone can
> license arm (or sparc for that matter, but ARM has the numbers).
>
> If Openindiana was to support ARM64 some time in future, now would be
> the time to start, while hardware vendors are looking to enter new
> markets.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.
>

>> Message: 4
>> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 08:22:40 -0500
>> From: Daniel Kjar <dkjar at elmira.edu>
>> To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
>> <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
>> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Suitable Dev box to replace Ultra
>>     80
>>
>> If you like old sun hardware you could pick up an ultra 40 or 20
>> used.  I put a 3ghz dual core in my ultra 20 and 8 gbs of ram + 4
>> hard drives.  The 40 has much better options.  I also have a 4x2 core
>> (885s I believe) v40z with 32gb of ram I picked up for 500 dollars a
>> couple years ago.  That is my openindiana sunray server.  Follow the
>> instructions on the sunray users forum and it works great.  No kiosks
>> though.  Sadly I have had to retire my old blade1000 due to the same
>> kind of stuff you mention.  I use the ultra 20 as a file server and
>> my desktop.  08:21am  up 61 days 21:53
>>

>> On 01/22/12 12:16 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a Grandfathers Axe, Ultra 80, 4 CPU, 4GB Ram, 4 x 2.5" SAS
>>> Drives, 2 x 3.5" SCSI, 2x XVR-1000's and dual 24" LCD Monitors.  I
>>> had been waiting for Sun to release a new sparc workstation, but it
>>> never happened.
>>>
>>> Its a Java dev box, all round work computer (with sunray clients),
>>> has a zone with a web server, online since 2005.

> [...]

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson