[OpenIndiana-discuss] running Openindiana als VM on Windows server datacenter

Open Indiana openindiana at out-side.nl
Fri Jan 27 08:06:10 UTC 2012

Thanks for your reply.
I already tried it myself.

I can confirm that OpenIndiana will install under Windows server 2008
datacenter R2. I installed the "desktop" version and the only problem is
that you can't install it when you are on a RDP session with the Windows
server.
You need to be at the server to install the openindiana 1.51 destopversion,
since the mouse is not captured over RDP. But on a direct session (attach
yourself physically to the mouse) you can install Openindiana without any
problems. Of course you need to use the "legacy NIC" emulation.

I installed MySQL on OpenIndiana and ran some tests with MySQL slap. I will
post a link soon with the outcome of these tests, since I compared them with
openindiana running on a HP N40L homeserver, solaris 10 MySQL running in a
zone (X4140) and MySQL running on a Windows 2008 VM under Windows 2008
datacenter (HP DL380 G7).

The outcome of these tests are very, very interesting. Differences range
from 0.80 secs to almost 6 secs between these servers. And the homeserver
stays close to or beats sometimes the overall winner!!