[OpenIndiana-discuss] CIFS performance issues

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri Jan 27 19:22:36 UTC 2012

Robin Axelsson wrote:
> On 2012-01-27 16:45, James Carlson wrote:
>> Robin Axelsson wrote:
>>> I don't agree with you on that. Many motherboards come with dual
>>> ethernet ports (i.e. dual NICs, I have counted the chips myself) and it
>>> is not uncommon with laptops with one wired ethernet interface and a
>>> wireless one. So as you said, there is the potential risk of
>>> interference between the two interfaces even though one may not even be
>>> connected.
>> Don't agree how?
>
> That systems with multiple interfaces are an anomaly, but maybe that's
> not what you meant.

Likely not, as multiple interfaces were exactly the reason that NWAM was
invented in the first place.  Without multiple interfaces, there's not a
whole lot of need for something like it.

The primary use-case for NWAM was a laptop with wired and wireless, and
being able to switch between them when advantageous without having to
get the user involved.

>> If all compromised drivers exposed a "I'm potentially garbage" flag,
>> then, fine, that independent part could read that flag and do whatever
>> it wants based on it.  But merely reading the letters "rge" and deciding
>> to impugn the connection based on some history or accusations strikes me
>> as untenable.
>>

> The only opinion that I have is that it should work and reliably so. The
> rge driver is apparently buggy and that's what people say about it in
> mailing lists. It is included with the OI distribution/repository. If I
> had the time and knowledge I would try and fix it myself but
> unfortunately I don't.

That's all well and good, but, as I was saying, I don't agree that
modifying NWAM (or any other part of the system for that matter) to
disparage particular drivers is a good thing at all.  At a minimum, the
energy spent in creating the illuminated manuscript of "bad" drivers
would be better spent debugging and fixing the darned things.