[OpenIndiana-discuss] experimental or otherwise not recommended options for ZFS

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 16:01:51 UTC 2012

Thank you for the replies.

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Sašo Kiselkov <skiselkov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> The obvious saying springs to mind: "RAID != backup". If you need your
> data to be safe, have two copies of it in two geographically separate
> locations running in two separate machines.

I've read about ECC/non-ECC and RAID != backup and already decided on
a solution - I wanted some indication of the stability of the ZFS
features themselves. My question arose when I read that
"dedup=fletcher4,verify" was causing problems [1] and was removed. I
was looking for indications whether choosing "checksum=sha256,
compression=on, dedup=verify" in itself was asking for trouble.

[1] http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2009-November/034106.html

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Robbie Crash
<sardonic.smiles at gmail.com> wrote:
> Those features are thoroughly tested and not experimental. That said:
> nothing is guaranteed to keep your data safe, and if you're truly worried
> about it, don't use dedupe.

Because photos tend to be already compressed, and I have only ~5%
duplicates, I will probably only change "checksum=sha256" from its
default. Other than CPU time, is there any other reason I may want to
stick with the default of "checksum=on" (fletcher4)?

Once again, thank you for the insight,
Jan