[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which DELL controler voor Openindiana

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:11:16 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 03:21 PM, Open Indiana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some NAS in our network (effectively 4TB) and already received a
> quote from DELL for a R320 with a Perc H310.
> This seems to be a branded LSI LSISAS2008 but it needs modification before I
> can use it with OpenIndiana.
>
> Has anyone some suggestions (apart from do not use Dell) on the best
> controller?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The Perc H310 is OK after a few firmware reflash steps (I can send you
all you need for that) but make damn sure you don't get the "Mini-type"
on, but rather the full PCI-e model. The reason is that for the reflash
you need to move the card from the storage slot to another PCI-e slot
(otherwise the motherboard firmware will halt your machine while booting
- an absolutely dickish move, but that's Dell for you). The Mini-type
cards have a proprietary mezzanine-style slot, so reflashing those is
effectively out of the question (unless you want to play
hot-plug-a-PCI-e-device with it).

--
Saso