[OpenIndiana-discuss] Good Solaris-friendly system vendor

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 18:26:45 UTC 2012

So I'm constantly searching the interwebs for a good hardware vendor who
ships well supported Solaris/Illumos-compatible kit. I know of the
offerings by all the big names in the field (HP, IBM, Dell) and while
their hardware is generally good, their Solaris support is often times a
story of extensive searching and checking of compatibility lists. Even
simple operations, such as getting a proper pure HBA instead of their
craptalistic hardware RAID often times turns into an uphill battle. And
no need to recommend Oracle, I used to be a big fan of Sun kit, but ever
since Oracle turned them evil, I want to have nothing to do with them
(e.g. I'll never forgive them for killing off the Sun Fire X4540).

At the moment I use Dell hardware, but seeing as their new line of
internal HBAs (H310/H710) lack Illumos support, I'll probably be forced
to go somewhere else. Do you guys know of somebody who ships servers and
storage similar to the big-names and has a similar level of support?
(e.g. call to repair, 6-hour response, etc.)

Cheers,
--
Saso