[OpenIndiana-discuss] Broken pkg in ipkg zones since update to oi_151a5

Sašo Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:02:49 UTC 2012

On 07/05/2012 01:52 PM, Rich wrote:
> Wasn't claiming it was a correct course of action, merely the
> functional one that came to mind.
>
> Then again, it's called "prestable" for a reason...

Not to sound too inflammatory, but then why the hell does it say stuff
like this on the openindiana website right next to the download button:

"Extraordinary enterprise features that place it on a level above the
competition, whether you’re just hosting a blog, providing cloud
computing facilities, or running a petabyte storage system."

And it's not like I was deliberately switching to some experimental
repo, this happened on systems which I installed from exactly said
download image from the website and did a "pkg image-update" on them
(as, you know, good practice - get the machines patched before they're
put into production).

I know the website later mentions, in the news section, that it's a
development release, but unfortunately there aren't that many (or any)
other IPS-based Illumos distros that are a direct continuation of the
OpenSolaris OS line, which was closest to my heart. Wasn't there some
plan to split up OI development into a dev branch and a stable branch?
(Sort of like what Debian does.)

Cheers,
--
Saso