[OpenIndiana-discuss] Access to ZFS viz CIFS from windows regularly hangs.

John McEntee jmcentee at stirling-dynamics.com
Fri Jul 6 09:41:28 UTC 2012

> On my home network I observed that when I turned a Windows XP host off a
Windows 7 host declared that it lost access to the Samba service hosted from
a Solaris 10 system.  It was then able to reconnect to the Samba service on
that Solaris 10 system even though the Windows XP host remained turned off.

> It is a problem that Windows uses random hosts on the network as directory
servers and then blames the problem on the host which is actually serving up
the data (as if that host was lost) if that random directory server goes
away.

> This behavior seems like it would make dignosing issues more difficult.

If you are using samba then there is configuration you can add to stop your
problem in the smb.conf file, you can increase the os level to 99 just to
make sure.

[global]
domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

The inbuilt kernel CIFS server only does file sharing and therefore cannot
be a master browser hence your windows 7 machine will be it. The solution it
to either, 1) live with the problem. 2) use samba instead. 3) run a virtual
machine on the Solaris system to be the browser master.

John

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are strictly confidential and are solely for the person(s) at the e-mail address(es) above. If you are not an addressee, you may not disclose, distribute, copy or use this e-mail, and we request that you send an e-mail to admin at stirling-dynamics.com and delete this e-mail.  Stirling Dynamics Ltd. accepts no legal liability for the contents of this e-mail including any errors, interception or interference, as internet communications are not secure.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Stirling Dynamics Ltd. Registered In England No. 2092114 Registered Office: 26 Regent Street, Clifton, Bristol. BS8 4HG
VAT no. GB 464 6551 29