[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS & SMART error

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 11:27:08 UTC 2012

Thanks for the comments.  I've taken the disk offline for now as I don't need the space.  It's purely for temporary files when working on large datasets and I'm not doing anything that requires that much space. (I've come in to work in the morning to discover that I filled up a 2 TB disk and abended several jobs, but that doesn't happen often.  I usually plan better than that ;-)

I've fiddled a little w/ smartctl on my OI system, but didn't get far as it didn't recognize the disk.

My understanding of the situation is that w/o a way to extract the bad block list from the drive itself, format(1m) won't allow me to do anything useful.  It would appear that I'll have to research the disk a bit to do anything w/ smartctl, but maybe a Linux distro will know about the disk.

It got a good bit quieter when I turned the key and powered off the drive, so I have little doubt that it really is failing. I hadn't realized how noisy it was.