[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mounting smb IN OI

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jul 9 14:27:53 UTC 2012

I'd also suggest integration with automount, and not make an
unnecessary boot-time dependency via /etc/vfstab.

Make sure that in /etc/auto_master you have such a line:

/-              auto_direct

This makes sure that arbitrary paths (unlike fixed /home or
/net defined in other lines) can be automounted.

Then create (or append to) the file /etc/auto_direct lines
like this one to auto-mount into "/cifs/fileserver/sharename"
directory (which you precreate manually):

### Automount some popular cifs shares
/cifs/fileserver/sharename
-noprompt,fstype=smbfs,dirperms=0555,fileperms=444,uid=nobody,gid=nobody
        //WORKGROUP;username at fileserver.domain.name/sharename

I am not sure how to pass a password this way; maybe root's
~/.smbrc or something like this can help, or you can put the
password into the mounter parameters - if no untrusted users
are on the system (who can view the process list and get the
password you'd want unknown).

If you routinely use (i.e. copy-paste) CIFS share names with
specific casing, you can also pre-create symlinks, i.e.

   ln -s ./sharename /cifs/fileserver/ShareName

Ultimately, "svcadm restart autofs" should apply the config.

HTH,
//Jim