[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing one package triggered upgrade

Jon Tibble meths at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 17 19:17:49 UTC 2012

On 17/07/2012 19:54, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>> Is this something the user can fix? Or is the packaging broken?
>> I don't think that you should be able to have the rpool at version
>> 5000 without installing from oi_151a5 media, or issuing a "zpool
>> upgrade rpool" or "zpool upgrade -a" manually after booting into
>> oi_151a5.  If these are not the case, then your rpool should still be
>> at version 28, and if so, previous boot environments should still work
>> (you can can activate the one you are currently booted into via the
>> package manager or beadm, and then a reboot should work, by not having
>> any changed packages).  It is not possible to downgrade a pool (so be
>> careful with zpool upgrade).
> I installed the 151a1 media, I've never tried to do anything with ZFS,
> and the previous boot environments still work. Problem is, any attempt
> to install a package triggers an update and the new package goes into
> the (broken) BE the upgrade sets up.
>
> So the question is, how come the version of zfs pulled in by the new BE
> is the wrong version for that BE? I'm not trying to avoid an upgrade, as
> long as the machine still boots afterward.
>
> Ryan

Firstly, an upgrade will not bump the zpool version - that would
obviously be insane.

Secondly you installed an oi_151a system (there was no media for
oi_151a1 BTW) with package versions 0.151.1 and all the prestables have
0.151.1.x.  Unfortunately this has raised an ugly issue we didn't know
about until it was too late that pkg incorrectly thinks they are the
same and can satisfy dependencies with them.  This has the effect that
you've seen that it therefore tries to upgrade you even when you install
the simplest single package.

It is slightly strange that it only tries to install a few packages
though which probably causes your issue.

The best thing to do would be to actually do a full upgrade.  I'm not
sure if it will let you pick a version or not but to find out you need
to use a command similar to the debugging command found here:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Troubleshooting+image-update+failures
This will allow you to find something that works for you.  A normal
version upgrade is in the order of 900 packages so you should be able to
see from the output if it looks like it is trying to do something sensible.

If you upgrade to a3 or later make sure you have a normal umask set to
avoid https://www.illumos.org/issues/2651.

JT