[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM with Xeon processor

"Weiergräber, Oliver H." o.h.weiergraeber at fz-juelich.de
Fri Jul 20 10:56:05 UTC 2012

Well, I am able to install kvm as indicated on the OI Wiki pages, without getting a crash dump or similar problems, but during bootup the kernel says
openindiana kvm: [ID 469686 kern.warning] WARNING: kvm: insufficient hardware support (lacking EPT)

So either Intel docs are wrong stating that EPT is available on the Xeon E5400 series, or the feature is not "exposed" on this particular hardware. At least I cannot find any BIOS entry related to EPT; it should simply get activated together with VT-x. Very disappointing...

Oliver