[OpenIndiana-discuss] in desperate need of fsck.zfs

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Mon Jul 23 15:28:23 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 09:01 AM, Lucas Van Tol wrote:
> Maybe the disks are faild by fmd?   It will often prevent a system from using disks it thinks have failed; even if its a new disk in the same slot.   Check with 'fmadm faulty' anc see if you can convince fmd they are repaired/replaced/acquitted.   That may make them visible to the pool again, although that might not help much at this point.

I think I goofed with fmd and disabled the service about a week ago,
since it was running away and eating up all the ram this machine has
(only has 4G).  So not sure if there's anything in fmd that's preventing
it from allowing these drives to be started up.

I can dd from them without issue, at least the start of the disk, I know
that's not saying very much about the underlying metadata on them, but
the physical drives are working (not sure of bad blocks or metadata
obviously.)

I suppose I should boot off a live CD and try to do the scrub from there
maybe.  Would it be better to use Solaris 11 or the latest ISO to
attempt that?

I do have another machine that I could use for this that has 32G of RAM,
but the latest OI ISO won't properly start up - stays in text mode, I
believe it doesn't like the video card in there, and unfortunately it
gives a login prompt, and I don't know what login to use off the OI
live disk.