[OpenIndiana-discuss] summary: in desperate need of fsck.zfs

Gregory Youngblood gregory at youngblood.me
Wed Jul 25 14:42:05 UTC 2012

> I then reran my rsync script and I see it hung the box in the same spot,

This is the part I am curious about, reading from a disk hanging the box, or even writing. I have seen this in the distant past but fortunately it hasn't bit me for quite some time. I believe it was Solaris 10 that I first experienced this, so I a not picking on or complaining about OI.

It seems there were more than one or two, don't know if there still as many, scenarios where a drive issue could result in a halted, crashed box. I have had a hard time balancing this detail with production stability needs (remember I am including back to Solaris not current OI), and it has given me pause before deploying this for anything more than backup or ancillary storage.

Assuming the faulted drive or pool is not rpool, containing required files for the system, why should a faulty drive or pool hang the entire box? Why can't the system return an error and continue?

Thanks,
Greg

Sent from my iPad