[OpenIndiana-discuss] DHCPv6-PD

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri Jul 27 15:02:44 UTC 2012

Gary Gendel wrote:
> Does OpenIndiana support this protocol?  If so, does anyone have a basic
> howto written that will step me though setting up my OI server to do
> IPV6 routing via Comcast.  So far, I have only been able to get a single
> /128 address, but with DHCPv6-PD it should get a /64 address.  Thanks.

I know that when I wrote the code, I didn't add support for RFC 3633
Prefix Delegation.  It wasn't part of the customer request Sun received
that started the project.

I don't know if anyone's added it since, but I doubt it.  I think it's
unlikely to be useful unless there's also a DHCPv6 server component that
can read the delegated prefixes and do something intelligent with them,
but last I checked, OI doesn't have a DHCPv6 server.

For what it's worth, Prefix Delegation has nothing to do with the
configuration of the on-link addresses.  If you're seeing a /128 where
you expect a /64, the problem is that you're not getting a proper IPv6
Router Advertisement for that prefix.

DHCPv6 works in a rather different manner from IPv4 DHCP.  In
particular, DHCPv6 *DOES NOT* include the prefix information in the
assigned address data.  Instead, the DHCPv6 client is expected to get
the prefix information using the standard Router Discovery mechanism
that's always used in IPv6 to get prefixes from IPv6 routers.

Seeing /128 means that something in that fundamental mechanism has
broken down.  Either in.ndpd has been somehow disabled or the upstream
router is not providing complete information.