[OpenIndiana-discuss] DHCPv6-PD

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Fri Jul 27 15:54:22 UTC 2012

Gary Gendel wrote:
> On 7/27/12 11:02 AM, James Carlson wrote:
>> Seeing /128 means that something in that fundamental mechanism has
>> broken down.  Either in.ndpd has been somehow disabled or the upstream
>> router is not providing complete information.
>>
> It's the latter.  From my conversation with Comcast:
>
> For ipv6 to work natively with Comcast you need DHCPv6-PD in your
> router. Then Comcast will assign you a /64 prefix. If you plug in a
> computer directly they'll assign you a single ipv6 address. Native ipv6
> won't work any other way.

I don't think that getting a /128 on an IPv6 network makes a whole lot
of sense ... but I'll admit that I haven't worked in that area in quite
a while.  From what I recall, each ISP involved in IPv6 deployment was
running with its own plan for how everything would work together, and
they weren't all doing the same thing.

I think you might be on your own.

https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/illumos/illumos-gate/file/527f645bd884/usr/src/cmd/cmd-inet/sbin/dhcpagent