[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenSolaris on SPARC

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Mon Jul 30 16:33:54 UTC 2012

Fantastic!  I can't wait to fire up my sb1000 again!

I have an xvr1200 but I have pretty much determined I will never be able
to use that card again....

Do you know what card would work best?  I have an ati radeon (xvr 100?)
card and a couple of those monstrous creator3ds.

On 07/30/12 02:13 AM, Martin Bochnig wrote:
> Hi,
>

> yes, I resumed work a few weeks ago.
> X11:  problem solved(!)
>
> And weather SPARC is dead or not, I still have 18 SPARC boxes here in my room.
> Fully equipped with all existing frame buffers that ever existed
> (except XVR-200, XVR-300, XVR-1000 and XVR-1200 at this time, because
> I had sold them).
> I also have a T1000 now with PCIe x1 to x16 Adapter. Although this box
> has not even USB and only a single narrow PCEe slot, I could test the
> XVR-2500 that way. And OBP detects it as boot-console, although the
> T1000 was never intended to run in a non-headless configuration
>
> On SPARC I no longer fiddle with libdevinfo, libpciaccess and Xorg
> (weather libpciaccess based or old xserver 1.2), but instead I
> focussed on getting Xsun to function, which Alan  Coopersmith has
> thankfully opensourced 2 years ago in his spare time, just in the
> first, last and probably only ever moment it was possible (BIG
> THANKS!).
>

> BTW: If you visit Oracle's site, SPARC is still quite well and kicking.
> http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/servers/sparc-enterprise/t-series/sparc-t4-processor-ds-497205.pdf
>

> Or which other vendor can offer a comparable CPU with up to 64 threads
> running at up to 3.0GHz?
> Letting alone the low power consumption per cycle.
>

> My only problem with Illumos as code-base is, that much stuff
> belonging to legacy SPARC hardware (which includes all workstations)
> seems to have been dropped from Illumos.At least that was my first
> impression a month ago.  And for this reason I based my initial
> version of SPARC-OpenIndiana on Nevada 125 for the first demo release.
>
> That way I intend to convince folks, that we should merge in the
> missing platform specific pieces.
> But one step after another.
>

> After I had promised things in the past, this time I did not want to
> make _any_ public announcement, until the SPARC-OI demo iso is ready
> for download.
> Now that you started such a thread, staying silent was no longer an option.
> Yeas, there will be SPARC-OI.
> My personal goal is and always has been, that we can offer a
> functioning X-Windows.
> So it shouldn't be a server-only release, limited to serial console/RSC/Alom.
> And thanks to Alan's openXsun open-sourcing contribution, this dream
> has *finally* come true.
> The code can be found at
> http://dlc.sun.com/osol/x/downloads/openXsun/openXsun.tar.bz2 and is a
> stripped cut-down version. But meanwhile I added some missing
> functions to build/link it sucessfully. Plus it even functions now on
> my test machines
> (U1/U2/U5/U10/U30/U60/U80/SB100/SB150/SB1000/SB1500R/SB1500S/SB2000/SB2500R/SB2500S/Tadpole
> SPARCle/T1000). It only took a few days and was a child's game when
> compared to what is required to modify libdevinfo/libpciaccess/Xorg to
> [...]

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson