[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I get OpenIndana's make (not gmake) to accept the following

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 15:17:43 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Joshua M. Clulow <josh at sysmgr.org> wrote:
> On 3 June 2012 23:55, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We have the following in the Makefile:
>> .SUFFIXES: .so
>>
>> .o.so:
>>        @echo "Linking $<"
>>        @$(CC) $(LDSHFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $*.o -o $*.so
>>
>> and make is objecting with: Don't know how to make blah.so.
>>
>> Is there any way to work around this?
>
> You need both suffixes in .SUFFIXES...
>
> i.e.
>
> .SUFFIXES: .down .up
> TR= /usr/bin/tr
> .down.up:
>        @echo "Munging $<"
>        $(TR) "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]" < $*.down > $*.up

Hmmm, that does not _seem_ to be the case. Regardless of whether I have

   .SUFFIXES: .o .so

or

   .SUFFIXES: .so .o

I still get the same message indicating that it does not know how to
build a .so from a .o

(The indent above is for exposition purposes, the .SUFFIXES: is hard
up against the left hand column in the Makefile.)

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe