[OpenIndiana-discuss] NFS hidden files

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Tue Jun 5 14:29:46 UTC 2012

I understand your point.
But, my question is...shouldn't a network filesystem try to completely emulate a local file system,
trying to hide as much as possible the fact of being a network share?
In this case, how does a local filesystem like ZFS or UFS manage these situations?
Local file systems do not create .xxx files, and they never show up even in the situations you describe.
So, why NFS should be different? I believe that the NFS server may hold this files for himself and
the processes that already have opened sessions on them, not showing them in folder listings
(as zfs can do with its .zfs folder).
Also, is it correct by the file system to allow deletion of a file opened by someone else?
For example, an "rm -r folder" will fail in case I have a bash inside it's tree.
I believe an option to hide them would do no harm.
Thx anyway
Gabriele.