[OpenIndiana-discuss] What happens when a ZIL drive dies?

Matt Clark matt at mattclark.net
Wed Jun 6 19:23:09 UTC 2012

Yes, it's interesting to consider the possible real world performance.  ZIL writes, even by DDRDrive's stats, are very closely clustered around the tail of the ZIL, with most seeks being to near locations - it's certainly not going to seek more than 8 gig away.  So probably just leaving it at one big partition would be fine too.  In my home (i.e. toy) implementation the SLOG is just a partition on an 80GB drive shared with the root pool and L2ARC, and frankly the gigabit network runs out of puff long before I can tax the server IO with sync writes.  If anyone has one doing more than toy stuff it would be good to hear.