[OpenIndiana-discuss] What happens when a ZIL drive dies?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jun 7 15:06:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Jesus Cea wrote:

> I always wondered WHY. What is the point of keeping separate ZILs (one
> per dataset) when having a discrete LOG device.
>
> Any idea?.

The implementation is obviously very much simplified by using discrete
contiguous ZILs.  Otherwise there is a lot more complexity and
activity to track which I/Os have completed.  With the current
approach, only one write is necessary to record that a batch of writes
have been committed to the pool.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn