[OpenIndiana-discuss] DHCP server for IPV6

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Jun 7 16:25:01 UTC 2012

On 6/7/12 12:17 PM, James Carlson wrote:
> Gary Gendel wrote:
>> Moving from IPV4 to IPV4/IPV6 on my home network is like peeling an
>> onion, so I'm taking it one step at a time. :(
>>
>> Currently I only see the old Solaris dhcp server for OI.  Can this
>> handle ipv6?
> No.  DHCPv6 is really a very different protocol from IPv4 DHCP.
>
> (Are you really sure you need DHCPv6 ... ?)
My ISP provides me with both an IPV4 and an IPV6 address. My OI box
currently does IPV4 firewall/routing/NAT and provides DHCP service for
my internal network.  I'm trying to replicate this in IPV6 in parallel
with IPV4.

>> I couldn't find any examples but ipv6 support was
>> superficially mentioned in some documents I came across.  Is there a
>> howto document available?  If not, do we have a supported install
>> package for ISC DHCP now that it's gone from SFE?
> When I was designing and testing the DHCPv6 client in OpenSolaris, I
> used the WIDE-DHCPv6 server for much of the ad-hoc testing.  The patches
> I needed to make it work on OpenSolaris are still available:
>
> http://www.workingcode.com/dhcpv6/wide-dhcpv6-20061016.small.gdiff
>
> I haven't really kept up with it since 2006, so things may well have
> changed.

Thanks.  I probably should move to ISC DHCP since that's where Oracle is
headed as well.  Should I get the sources and build from there or will
it be available as a package in the near future?

Gary