[OpenIndiana-discuss] DHCP auto-configuration for local zones and sysidcfg

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jun 7 18:58:35 UTC 2012

2012-06-07 22:32, Jim Klimov написал:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get automatic networking provisioning for local
> zones working, ultimately in order to simplify rapid deployments
> of testbeds and per-bug build environments.
>
> In the process I found a few nits, and wondered if I am doing
> something wrong or things are according to current design and
> that can be revised, perhaps? So, here goes:

A few more:

4) If I pre-configure the local zone with /etc/sysidcfg
    (created between installation and first boot), and use
      network_interface=PRIMARY {dhcp protocol_ipv6=no}
    then the interface is first attempting "auto-revarp"
    configuration and sends out RARP packets (not served
    by Sun DHCP) and then sends out DHCPREQUESTs as asked.

    If I don't provide the /etc/sysidcfg file, RARP is
    still attempted, times out and "in.rdisc" failure is
    logged, then the wizard asks for static IP settings.

    I wonder if it is possible to either tie in the RARP
    replies to Sun DHCP server, or to have the new client
    attempt DHCP by default - since it does use RARP?..
    (perhaps with a smaller timeout than 300sec waiting
    with explicitly requested DHCP setup).

5) Is it possible to make a hands-free installation
    (without supplying a /etc/sysidcfg manually) perhaps
    distributing all these settings via DHCP (in private
    options and/or as an URL to fetch the file via HTTP
    or TFTP) - *if* DHCP and/or the DNS resolution setup
    would now be also requested by default? ;)
    I am thinking towards Sun Ray DTU auto-configuration
    with a mix of DHCP and DNS settings for predefined
    names (i.e. sunray-server-config.yourdomain.com).

//Jim Klimov