[OpenIndiana-discuss] HDD Upgrade problem

michelle michelle at msknight.com
Mon Jun 11 06:53:56 UTC 2012

Broke the mirror and tried to a single drive and the backup worked; the
combination of USB and e-sata was obviously upsetting it.

If only this Marvel chipset was supported then I could get the second
e-sata channel working. Ah well.

After the backup was complete I have tried reconnecting and reformatting
the 3tb drive but still the same error. I don't really want to
retard/downgrade the 3tb drive's abilities.

It will be another two months before I have enough replacement 3tb
drives; and where I'd copy the main chunk of data off to when I have
them, I'm not sure as my plan was to use the 2tb drives as a backup.

With these extra problems/restrictions that are appearing when using the
ZFS raidz, the lack of flexibility is starting to hurt. There was
another restriction as well, I think it was something like not being
able to dynamically add more drives to the set. But it was the promise
of flexibility which is why I went for ZFS in the first place.

If anyone has any insight in to an alternative strategy than raidz that
would keep the heat generation down but still give tolerance and ability
to change hard drives without destroying the set, I'd be grateful to
hear it. My current target is 6tb of data storage and I'm not confident
enough with my low grade consumer items for a single mirror.

Thanks in advance for any advice.