[OpenIndiana-discuss] Drive compatibility

Rich rercola at acm.jhu.edu
Mon Jun 11 14:50:00 UTC 2012

I would guess the error you're having involves the devices having
different block sizes.

# ./smartctl -d sat -i /dev/rdsk/c7t5000C5003886DDA4d0s0
smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [i386-pc-solaris2.11] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda Green (Adv. Format)
Device Model:     ST2000DL003-9VT166
[snip]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
# ./smartctl -d sat -i /dev/rdsk/c7t5000C500459476F2d0s0
smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [i386-pc-solaris2.11] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda Green (Adv. Format)
Device Model:     ST2000DL003-9VT166
[snip]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical

You can also look at zdb's output and see what the ashift value of the
disks in the pool is (it's a 2 << [ashift], so ashift=9 is 512b, =12
is 4096b,etc)

- Rich