[OpenIndiana-discuss] [discuss] Is it possible to do shared networking for LZ different from IP stack in GZ?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Jun 11 18:50:40 UTC 2012

2012-06-11 18:19, Dan McDonald wrote:
> The fundamental question is always:  What problem are you really trying to solve?

Okay, I found another rationale beside performance and simplified
intra-zone routing (though not as apparent as exclusive routing).
It seems that the shared IP stack offer better protection against
sniffing on colocated environments (i.e. zone-based hosting): it
is not allowed to use promiscuous mode on NIC aliases used in the
shared stack, while sniffing does work on exclusive VNICs.

That might be a serious difference in some cases...

HTH,
//Jim Klimov