[OpenIndiana-discuss] Migrating root zpool from old disks to new one. only one system available

J. V. pepeshopping at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 11:40:20 UTC 2012

On 12/06/12 09:16 AM, Rich wrote:
> Won't zpool replace fail b/c the new disks require ashift=12 and his
> existing pool devices have ashift=9?

This should work fine:

HP Microserver, upgrading a mirrored pool from 2TB HDs to 3TB HDs. At one
point, the pool had one 2TB HD with 512 sectors and the other with 4k
sectors (both in a mirror). Seems there was a bit of a performance hit, but
everything worked fine.

When I upgraded from 2TB to 3TB, the 3TB HDs were both 4k sectors:

- poweroff
- Exchange ONE 2TB HD for a 3TB.
- Power on. Wait for resilver.
- poweroff
- Exchange the other 2TB with 3TB.
- Power on. Wait for resilver.

(My pool had autoexpand = off. I am using napp-it so I simply went into the
Web interface and changed it to ON).
3TB, 4k sec mirror ready.

Cheers.

Jose V.