[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox in an IPS repo?

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Wed Jun 20 19:24:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

Jim Klimov píše v st 20. 06. 2012 v 19:22 +0400:
> Hello,
>
>    I was asked why the OI repos don't provide VirtualBox?
>
>    My first reply was that this may be because of PUEL license
> limitations; however, since release of the 4.x branch, the
> basic software and its source code are GPLv2, with only the
> Extended Pack being PUEL.
>
>    Hence the question: it there anything (but lack of time
> and other resources) forbidding the IPS redistribution of
> VirtualBox? Can the original Oracle SVR4 package be repacked
> for IPS, or must that be a private rebuild? Finally, which
> repo would that best fit into (illumos-userland, SFE, etc.)
> if anyone were to do this quest?

VBox team was delivering IPS package for some time. But their
requirements for preinstall/postinstall were in collision with IPS team
view. It is hard to judge who was/is right but generally, what is wrong
with this SVR4 package (except "autoupdate" I would not recommend in
case of VBox anyway)?

As if the original SVR4 package can be repacked - you need to do more
than just publish it as IPS, you have to deal with all work needed
during install process. Also building VBox on Solaris was not simple
task, not sure if it improved.

> Thanks for info,
> //Jim Klimov

Best regards,