[OpenIndiana-discuss] Browser update/alternative for OI_151?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 24 01:04:06 UTC 2012

I'm encountering an increasing number of websites which complain that my browser is out of date.  I'm running OI_151 w/ firefox 0.5.11-0.151.1.  "pkg update" says "No updates available for this image."

google & the wiki didn't offer much hope, though I do see updates for OpenSolaris 11.  Does anyone know if one of those  works on OI?

Am I correct in assuming that the lack of more recent versions of Firefox is due to it not being compilable on OI?  Is there a more recent or alternative  browser option?  I don't think I use any plugins (e.g. I removed flash).

I just want a basic browser.  I'd like secure, but I realize that's not realistic.

I'm *very* tired of version churn on the web:-(

Thanks,
Reg