[OpenIndiana-discuss] Diagnosis help needed

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Tue Jun 26 00:19:45 UTC 2012

On Jun 25, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Ray Arachelian wrote:

> On 06/25/2012 03:31 PM, michelle wrote:
>> I did a hard reset and moved the drive to another channel.
>>
>> The fault followed the drive so I'm certain it is the drive, as people
>> have said.
>>
>> The thing that bugs me is that this ZFS fault locked up the OS - and
>> that's a real concern.
>>
>> I think I'm going to need to have a hard think about my options and
>> possibly leave OI for FreeNAS, Nexenta or Schillix.
>>

> My guess is that since all the pools are by default set to have failmode
> set to "wait" on failure, it'll wait forever.

I do not believe this is a case where failmode is used -- the pool state is
not FAULTED.

In my experience, this is a case where the disk is there, accepting commands,
but not actually responding. Eventually, (by default for most Solaris-derivative)
after 60seconds * 3 retries, something else is attempted, that also fails. Also in
my experience, I see this on consumer-grade drives (qv TLER discussions).
However, we can't know more until we see the "fmdump -eV" error log descriptive
output.
 -- richard

--

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com