[OpenIndiana-discuss] Options for a root filesystem

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Jun 26 17:38:26 UTC 2012

2012-06-26 4:55, Vishwas Durai пишет:
> Hello all,
> I'm wondering what options are available for root filesystem in OI? By
> default,  install  uses ZFS and creates a rpool. But If I'm a ZFS hacker
> and made some changes to some core structures, how does one go about
> debugging that? Is dropping to kmdb and debugging the only available
> (painful) option?
> Any experience that you can share with this will be very helpful.

As I understand, you want your OS stability to be independent
from ZFS stability and code - so you want to use a different
booting method?

I am not sure if booting from UFS is still supported, but it
seems unlikely that anyone would take time to carve it out
either. So you can try creating a separate slice with a UFS
root filesystem in it. You likely won't have working beadm
and backup/alternate BEs in this case, though.

Alternately, you might create LiveUSB images and flash a boot
disk with your alternate ZFS code (see Distro Constructor),
it may also be possible to avoid USB drives and just re-image
a physical partition on your hard disk. This would likely
work faster and avoid surprises of flash write-wearing.

Finally, you can do these experiments in a VM so as to not
corrupt your physical workstation ;)

HTH,
//Jim Klimov