[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problem/Question on mount lofs:

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 05:28:26 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:53 PM, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:
>> On 26/06/2012 14:44, Armin Maier wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello anybody!
>>> I've got a problem centraly sharing ZFS filesystems.
>>> What i want is to create zfs filesystems for different Usergroups and
>>> i want to share them in a central location.
[...]
>>> If i browse to the "/mountbase/zfsfilesys1" directory on the console i
>>> can see
>>> all the Contents and everything is fine, but when i open the share
>>> "\\openindiana\zfs$" i do net see any directories. If i unmount the
>>> "/mountbase/zfsfilesys1" Directory it appears on the Windows computer.
>>> Does someone know why this happens? Is there a "smbserver" setting
>>> which has to
>>> be set? I do not use samba for sharing, i am using the Solaris smb
>>> service
>>> "svc:/network/smb/server:default".

> AFAIK the Solaris kernel CIFS server, which is also used in OI,
> does not allow sharing ZFS dataset hierarchies as a single
> mountpoint (like you can do with NFS), and the CIFS clients
> don't have a means to detect a nested mountpoint and call a
> new mount operation for the nested datasets. I am not sure why,
> maybe it is a protocol limitation, or a certain vendor's popular
> client capability limitation.

The native SMB service currently does not share recursively.
(That was a design choice - an unpopular one - more below.)
When you set sharesmb=... on some ZFS data set, none of
the ZFS data sets that might exist below it are visible to SMB.
Bug or feature?  You decide...

We at Nexenta implemented an option to allow such "child"
file systems under a share to be exposed by the share.
Unfortunately, I don't think it ever got pushed up-stream
to the illumos gate.  I guess you'd be in favor?

--
Gordon Ross <gwr at nexenta.com>
Nexenta Systems, Inc.  www.nexenta.com