[OpenIndiana-discuss] quasi-hang hot-plugging sata drive?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Wed Jun 27 14:05:49 UTC 2012

OI 151a4.  3x2 mirrored data pool with single SAS drive for root.  Hot
plugged 1TB sata drive and started backing up to it using zfs send | zfs
recv.  That was chugging along nicely. I then hot-plugged a 160GB sata 2,5
drive in a 2.5/3.5 adapter to make sure it will fit correctly when I get my
l2arc SSD.  I ran devfsadm -Cv to make sure everything was clean.  That
command hung.  Unplugged the drive and no change.  Eventually things came
back and I got a prompt, but it seems like any command I type that does disk
activity (like zfs list) also hangs.  While trying to figure *that* out, my
wife comes downstairs and asks me 'what the **** is going on?  my
telecommuting session is totally gone!'  I had to power-cycle the box to get
it back.  Even worse, I kept getting errors about 'zfs mount -a' not working
because one of the windows shares directories was not empty, so the whole
mount process would blow up.  I finally had to 'zfs delete' on that share to
recover.  I kept seeing messages about:

Jun 27 09:16:09 nas devfsadmd[402]: [ID 937045 daemon.error] failed to
lookup dev name for
/pci at 0,0/pci8086,2779 at 1/pci1000,3040 at 0/iport at f/disk at w5000cca59bf478a0,0

I did 'devfsadm -Cv' and it purged a bunch of crap and now I am back up.  I
am guessing it did NOT like the 160GB drive I plugged in?  This was NOT a
fun way to start the day :(  Any thoughts on what went wrong?