[OpenIndiana-discuss] can't mirror these disks

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jun 28 17:02:57 UTC 2012

2012-06-28 20:37, Jan Owoc wrote:
> I wasn't able to find a solution, so I now have a non-mirrored root
> pool. Does anyone know how to override this sector alignment issue?

Apparently, only by creating a new rpool on the 4KB drive
and zfs-sending data to it from the 512b drive. The idea
was discussed in detail a few times in the past few weeks
on this list and/or on zfs-discuss.

What is strange to me is the news that ZFS would refuse to
attach a 512b disk as a mirror to a 4KB TLVDEV (the rpool).
I did not test this myself, but it sounds like a bug - a
512b disk should certainly receive 4KB writes safely and
quickly (the opposite is not necessarily true) ;)

Did you certainly test that it doesn't work? If so - I think
some noise is due on the lists ;)

Also, for a bit more safety against data corruptions on a
single-disk rpool, you might want to use "copies=2" (or =3)
and rewrite the data to the pool (i.e. zfs-send|zfs-recv
within the pool) - in this case the userdata blocks would
be cloned like metadata is, and corruption (or mis-read)
of a single sector would not cause big problems.
Saved me on my home NAS quite a few times - nearly every
scrub finds a few CKSUM errors on the old root disk :)

HTH,
//Jim Klimov