[OpenIndiana-discuss] Office apps unable to write to ZFS over CIFS

Martin Frost me at cs.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 29 01:17:42 UTC 2012

 > Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:14:53 -0400
 > From: Gordon Ross <gordon.w.ross at gmail.com>
 >
 > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Martin Frost <me at cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
 > > I'm running oi_148 as a fileserver, exporting via NFS and the
 > > kernel CIFS service for ZFS.
 > >
 > > But Windows users (XP and probably all Windows versions) are unable to
 > > write files from any MS Office applications into the shares from ZFS.
 > > They always get: "Access denied.  Contact your administrator."  Same
 > > result whether they're trying to overwrite a file or write a new file.
 > >
 > > Any ideas what's causing that?  This is driving me crazy.  I've
 > > seen the same problem under Linux with Samba, where disabling
 > > locking seemed to help.
 > >
 > > After that error, the users save the file to the local disk and copy
 > > it over the CIFS connection into the ZFS system successfully.  So they
 > > clearly have write access into ZFS from Windows, and the filesystem
 > > has lots of free space, but Office can't write any files to ZFS.  I
 > > assume this is some sort of locking problem.  I have nbmand=on, which
 > > is what I've read it should be set to for CIFS sharing.
 > >
 > > The directories and files they're trying to edit are owned by the
 > > actual user (defined by matching passwd and smbpasswd entries on the
 > > OI machine) and have 700 permissions and full_set ACLS:
 > >
 > >               owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
 > >            everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:deny
 >
 > You are always a member of the "everyone" group, so that deny ACE is
 > killing your access.

Sorry, that's wrong.  The first ACL wins, allowing the owner in.

Otherwise, the owner wouldn't have been able to copy the file to ZFS
over CIFS after Word failed to write it there directly.

It's only Word and Excel (and probably other Office apps) that are
getting Access Denied.

Martin